Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 19:45:40 -0400
From:      Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   some observed problems after new install

Hello all.  I recently installed FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE on my PC164.
So far, I've been very impressed.  I built XFree86 3.3.6 from the ports
collection, and it works beautifully with my S3/ViRGE video card.

Here are the details of some problems I've come across with various things:

1) I'm using an original SB16 ISA-PnP card with "device pcm" in my kernel
config file.  My kernel is built specifically for EB/PC164.  It gets probed
perfectly on boot, very impressive.  My problem is with playing mp3's.  Both
xmms and mpg123q exhibit a random tendency to play loud static.  If a song
starts ok, it will play fine in its entirety.
However sometimes when starting a song, loud static will be heard.  Repeating
the process will get the song to play fine, but I was wondering...  Might
there be a problem with the pcm/sbc driver corrupting isa dma?  Or something
more sinister?  I'm listening to mp3's right now, so it does work, only
sometimes at random I get loud static when a song starts.  Very odd.
This is a dual-boot machine, I also have alpha/linux installed and it does not
exhibit this problem.

2) I've installed emacs 19 from the ports collection.  The X version works
fine, but running "emacs -nw" causes the status bar to be indented a quarter
way across the screen, causing it to wrap around to the next line, totally
corrupting the screen and making emacs unusable.  Ctrl-L doesn't fix the
problem.  Anyone else see this?

3) The S/key calculator /usr/bin/key is broken.  It gives totally wrong
answers.  It's probably a 64-bit issue, easily fixable in the source, but I
just wanted to report it.  "opiekey -4" on the other hand works fine, so it
isn't a complete loss.

That's all for now, I'll report more observations as I come across them.

-Mark