Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 1996 21:18:58 +0100 (MET)
From:      sos@freebsd.org
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, babkin@hq.icb.chel.su, luigi@iet.unipi.it, emulation@freebsd.org, nox@jelal.hb.north.de
Subject:   Re: New PC-Emu

> > On another topic, I have made some (very rude) changes to pcemu, so
> > that it will run on a terminal, with no X at all compiled in. I
>
> This would be GREAT! I have started doing something similar but my
> patches are only partial. Would you like to submit them, so that we can
> replace my stuff ?

Well, its partly based on your pathces, I just took out the X
stuff, and added a bit of code to deal with the keyboard.
I still has some update problems, but given a couble of hours
those can probably be ironed out.

> > could makes this even better by letting it at the video memory
> > through syscons.
>
> Well, this is probably less important since the emulator is (relatively)
> slow anyways and works fine in X. Running on a terminal is much more
> important because it allows to run it remotely.

Yes, I now that, but it would also give some "interesting" possibilities
on PC hardware, such as settting videomodes etc etc. I should be
an option anyways.

> > Also I'm about to add support for tempering with REAL memory
> > (I need that for a card I only have dos init code for).
>
> That's curious, a memory mapped card ! Isn't access to I/O enough ?
> My patches already let you use I/O ports in the range specified
> in the .pcemurc

No, the card has 8K shared memory used to download the firmware
to the card, and to pass chuncks of data when it runs.

I'll work on it over the next couble of days...

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..