Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 2000 12:27:23 -0600
From:      "Doug Poland" <doug@polands.org>
To:        "Christoph Sold" <so@server.i-clue.de>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Non-SCSI backup strategy?

Chris wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I got a single, small BSD box set up and running in a local network. I
> plan to use it for backup purposes. Unfortunately, this box sports no
> SCSI interface. Everything has to be done the cheap way.
>
> Can anybody speak up how to backup (preferably using Amanda) to any
> ATAPI or USB drive?
>
> Thanks for your recommendations
> -Christoph Sold
> P.S: Yes, i know, SCSI cards _are_ cheap... but I want to check out
> alternatives first.
> --

Chris,

I'm by no means an authority, but I choose to backup my systems to
harddrives in two dedicated backup PC's. I added two 20GB HD to two
old 80486s.  You can't beat the cost/MB ratio of an IDE harddrive.
I backup to one machine one day, the other the next.  Of course,
I had old 486's lying around so the only cost involved was the drives
themselves.

Regards,
Doug