Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2000 15:05:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        James Raftery <jraftery@wrdp.com>
Cc:        Peter Brock <peer@interquad.net>, FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Root Partitions

	Ok, I've seen this recommendation a lot now.  Is this because the
ffs filesystem is so much more robust now than it was?  Because reading
through the 4.4BSD SMM it strongly recommends different partitions to
guard against problems in one filesystem taking out the whole system.
As a home user, downtime really doesn't matter to me.  I make backups and
if I had to reinstall due to filesystem corruption, I would be fine.  But
I like to understand the security and reliability implications of what I
do.  So I take it separate filesystems are not as necessary as they
once were?  Thanks,

						Tim