Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 01:16:24 +0000
From:      Radan login <radan@uk.radan.com>
To:        jim@corp.au.triax.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with sending a PR

On Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 10:50:57AM +1100, Jim Mock wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Feb 1999 at 22:56:25 +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
>
> [snip..]
>
> > OK guys, that's it.  I've had enough "get yourself a _proper_
> > mailer" advice.  I've done it.  I've installed mutt _and_ I've got
> > it to d/l my mail from our mail server at work (which is where all
> > my e-mail comes through).  It was even easier than The Book said, I
> > didn't need popclient as I just needed to setup some POP stuff in
> > ~/.muttrc then type ``G''.  :-)
> >
> > Now all I've got to do is figure out how to make sendmail send my
> > mail (you'll notice from the header that I sent this message with
> > Netscape).  I've looked at the manpage, the handbook, FAQ, and The
> > Book but they haven't really helped, they seem more to do with
> > receiving mail.  Is there a good guide to setting up sendmail to
> > _send_ mail using a dial-up connection? Something like the mutt
> > manual (/usr/local/share/doc/mutt/manual.html)?
> >

> Make sure it's running.  It'll take care of the sending by itself.
> Unless you've disabled it, it starts on bootup from /etc/rc.conf.
> Look for this part..
>
> sendmail_enable="YES"   # Run the sendmail daemon (or NO).
> sendmail_flags="-bd -q15m" # -bd is pretty mandatory.

Ah, sendmail_enable was set to "NO" (IIRC that is advised in the docs
for settin g up ppp). I've changed it, started ``sendmail -bd'', so
I'm going to see if it sends this message.

Thanks for the help

> If it's as above, sendmail should already be running.
>
> There's an article in this month's FreeBSD 'zine issue about using
> email with a dial-up account.  Might be a good idea to take a look at
> that.  The article can be found at
> http://www.freebsdzine.org/features/mail.shtml
>
> There's also an article in the archives about sendmail, although it's
> mostly about the anti-spam features.
>
> > One last thing. I still haven't learned all the keystrokes in mutt
> > yet and sometimes use the wrong one, e.g. ``f'' to move to the next
> > page (as in vi). However as this means ``forward'' I get a ``To: ''
> > prompt. How do I cancel it? ESC and Ctrl-D don't work, Ctrl-C does
> > but asks ``Exit mutt?'' with ``y'' as the default answer. What is
> > the correct key to cancel a command?
> >

> When mutt brings up the "To:" prompt, just hit enter without typing
> anything.. that works for me.

Doh, never thought of that. Thanks again

--
  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.