Date:      Sun, 05 Mar 2000 21:57:39 PST
From:      "Michael Lewis" <m1ewis@hotmail.com>
To:        kkeysler@nwlink.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp -- terminal mode problem

>Normally there is no prompt. Just the cursor.

There's no cursor either, just nothing.

>If you are not seeing any characters on the screen, it may be due to the
>fact that your modem is not set to echo commands. You'll have to consult
>your modems command set for the proper command to set echo on. Another
>possibility is that the modem is no on sio1. If it's an internal PNP, it
>may not be configured properly. In other words, the sio devices
>shown in dmesg are just the com ports. On my box, with a supraexpress
>isa pnp, the modem is on sio2. If it's external, check to be sure you
>are connected to the proper com port.

I'll check into commands that control setting echo on.  The modem is an
internal ISA but not PnP.  I set the modem's jumpers to use COM2 and int 03,
which should evaluate to cuaa1 in FreeBSD.  But is it really using cuaa1?
There's no evidence it is.

>Someone else may have a better idea...these are the problems I've
>encountered.

thanks for your reply, I'll figure it out eventually...
ML