Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2012 11:28:51 +0530
From:      Jack <jacks.1785@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppoe configuration and dns name resolution

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Mark Blackman <mark@exonetric.com> wrote:

> On 16 Oct 2012, at 16:38, Jack <jacks.1785@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I 'll try mpd5. Thanks.
>>
>> Actually, I was concerned with userland ppp, becoz of the
>> scenarios where we have a FreeBSD machine and the only
>> way to connect to internet is an adsl modem in bridge mode
>> (assuming the mode in modem, can't be  changed).
>> In such case the only utilty is ppp, which can be of help.
>
> Ok, usually bridge mode implies PPPoE and mpd5 does PPPoE. Maybe
> I'm missing your point.
>
> - Mark

Mark,  what I meant is when we have, say a fresh FreeBSD install, then
the only service we have at expose is ppp. To be able to use mpd5, or
other ports/packages we first need to connect to internet then only
we can install/use mpd5. So, by default we are stuck at using ppp builtin
with FreeBSD.

And yes by bridge mode I meant that <username> and <password>
are to be provided to OS, rather than storing them inside adsl modem.

The bridge mode works fine in my Windows XP setup. Nothing special
to configure, just need to go to network connections and create a new
connection, using username and password.
In XP, I'm using DHCP too, so that I don't need to manually
confgure interface IP address.

That's why I'm sure that my network setup is not a issue. The issue lies
somewhere in FreeBSD configuration or somewhere else.

Regards
--
Jack