Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:12:15 -0400
From:      Richard Coleman <rcoleman@criticalmagic.com>
To:        Ryan Sommers <ryans@gamersimpact.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removal of /stand Directory

Ryan Sommers wrote:
> After a thread on current@ and private discussion following, myself and
> the other party were in agreement that /stand serves no purpose after
> the initial install. Most of /stand is duplicated in /rescue with the
> exception of a few members. This makes the approx. 3mb of space consumed
> by /stand wasted space.
>
> The only post-install dependency on /stand I can find is the diskless rc
> script. This script uses /stand/cpio and /stand/gzip for unpacking
> template archives to populate memory disks. I have come up with two
> solutions that would solve this problem. The first involves /bin/pax and
> moving gzip to /bin/gzip. This would be enough to unpack archives for
> diskless systems. The other is to use /rescue/tar and /rescue/gzip.
>
> Currently /rescue uses gtar, however, this will likely be switched to
> bsdtar after 5.3-RELEASE (see PR bin/72549). This will add cpio and pax
> support to /rescue/tar (in addition to saving approx. 40k). I don't
> believe using /rescue is the correct solution for diskless systems.
>
> Which is why I propose moving gzip to /bin. This would increase /bin by
> about 46k. However, upon removing /stand the net would be a savings in
> the root partition. /bin/pax and gzip are capable of handling the
> diskless template archives and will also be updated as part of world to
> receive any bugfixes.
>
> If people agree with this, after providing patches for moving gzip to
> /bin I plan on addressing sysinstall to have /stand removed as part of
> the post-install cleanup/configuration. And then after I'd like to work
> on bringing our support and instructions for diskless environments up to
> date with 5.X.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts, objections, feelings on this? If anyone has
> already started work on this but doesn't have the time let me know and
> I'd be happy to pick up where they left off. Otherwise I'm willing to
> put in the grunt work if anyone is willing to help commit it once
> 5.3-release is out of the way.

Bsdtar has internal support for gzip/bzip2 compression.  So, if the move
was made to use bsdtar would this allow the diskless setup to no longer
depend on gzip?  Of course, the dependency on /lib/libz.so and
/usr/lib/libz2.so would need to be dealt with.  I'm not sure what that
does to your diskspace calculations.

Of course, I still find it odd that tar and cpio are in /usr/bin, but
pax is in /bin.  But that's a bikeshed for another day when we are
really bored.

Richard Coleman
rcoleman@criticalmagic.com