Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 07:15:00 -0500
From:      David Leimbach <Leimy2k@mac.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Testing new email account

--Apple-Mail-1658980397-1

> The last time someone directly involved in the mailing list server
> responded
> one of these questions, I believe they said that the filtering is
> dropping
> about 1 spam message every 3 minutes on average.

Wow! That's a lot.  Too bad some of them were probably from me trying to
write to the list and not exactly understanding why I couldn't.  Just
because you are dropping lots of messages doesn't always mean you are
dropping the right ones.

Hell, I could make a list that drops all messages and then say I never
get any spam.

My problem writing to the list is currently solved but I had to purchase
a Macintosh to do it  hence the email address. :)

> Keep in mind that questions@freebsd.org is the e-mail address that's
> printed
> on all the FreeBSD CD's and much other material.  It's got wide and
> unretractable exposure.

Yes it is quite exposed but if people can't use it its pointless to give
it out.  There should at least be a disclaimer on all new shipments that
if your ISP is full of dumbasses like mine you won't be able to write to
the list due to the strict filtering rules.

> Ted Mittelstaedt
> tedm@toybox.placo.com
> Author of:                           The FreeBSD Corporate Networker's
> Guide
> Book website:
> http://www.freebsd-corp-net-guide.com

--Apple-Mail-1658980397-1

<excerpt>The last time someone directly involved in the mailing list
server responded

one of these questions, I believe they said that the filtering is
dropping

about 1 spam message every 3 minutes on average.

</excerpt>Wow! That's a lot.  Too bad some of them were probably from

</color><excerpt>Keep in mind that questions@freebsd.org is the e-mail
address that's printed

on all the FreeBSD CD's and much other material.  It's got wide and

unretractable exposure.

</excerpt>Yes it is quite exposed but if people can't use it its
pointless to give it out.  There should at least be a disclaimer on
all new shipments that if your ISP is full of dumbasses like mine you
won't be able to write to the list due to the strict filtering rules.

</color><excerpt>

Ted Mittelstaedt
tedm@toybox.placo.com

Author of:                           The FreeBSD Corporate Networker's
Guide

Book website:
http://www.freebsd-corp-net-guide.com

</excerpt>