Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 2002 23:29:21 +0200
From:      cobb139 <cobb139@online.no>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problems with the alpha distribution

Hi,

Some days ago I brushed the dust of the Alphastation 200 standing in the
basement running slackware 8 alpha. Since slackware was quite unstable I
thought of switching to freebsd, and I did (4.6-RELEASE). This is a whole new
world to me, quite nicer than the linux systems I've tried. I actually learn a
whole lot :-).
I've encountered some things I haven't found answers for yet, and I wonder if
you've got any suggestions:

1.> I made a new kernel with netsmb and netsmbcrypto (+ libmchain and libiconv
which are required for smb). When I installed FreeBSD I chose custom install
and installed the User distribution (binaries and docs(nice)). My problem is
that mount_smbfs hasn't been installed, and I "really" need those MP3s on a
windows computer on my local network. Do you know where mount_smbfs resides on
my CD-ROM (I tried to compile the source, but the Makefile complained I didn't
have a 32-bit Intel processor)?

2.> My soundcard seems to work nice, but when I'm playing an MP3 with mpg123
it pauses perhaps 30 seconds with occasional noise (sounds like an LP-player
which has reached the end of the LP :-)). My soundcard is based on a CS4231A
chip (built-in alphastation card). I inserted the port, irq and io parameters
into my kernel configuration file after looking in INSTALL.TXT(?) on disc 1.

3.> When adding new users they are added with a DES hash in
/etc/master.passwd, but I really want MD5 or Blowfish. Root was added with MD5
though. /etc/auth.conf has crypt_default = md5 des and I added blf. Now,
/etc/login.conf's got md5 as default, but still new users are added with DES.
Hrmf. So I changed crypt_default
 in /etc/auth.conf to md5, and new users were added with a md5 hash (and of
course I cap_mkdb'd /etc/auth.conf), wohoo! It worked, but now users with DES
hashes couldn't log in :-(. I spoke to someone on IRC and he said
crypt_default = md5 allowed both md5 and des users to log in.

4.> dhclient de0 managed to crash my system. Disks could not be synced, wham!
I'll try to get some more details later.

Sorry for the hassle, but perhaps some of these could be bugs? (*hides in a
dark corner*)