Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 20:04:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   A7M266D

Anyone have any luck with this board and FreeBSD-stable.  I'm running:

A7M266D
2 x 1.4GHz K7MP
Crucial 512MB registered ECC PC2100 DIMM
Seagate Cheetah 36GB 10k RPM SCSI drive
Adaptec AIC7899 SCSI controller
Enermax 550W power supply

FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE from Sun Feb 24

I've got the MPspec set to 1.1 in the BIOS and I've had to underclock the
FSB to 100MHz (about 1GHz chip speed) to make it work.

I had thought the problem with the board was that my 400W power supply
could "only" put out 12A on the 12V pin, which is under the requirements
listed in the A7M266D manual.  However, the Enermax power supply didn't
solve my problem for me.  Also, Win2KSP2 doesn't work at full speed on
this machine either.

They symptom of the crashes that I've had tonight under FreeBSD is that it
will boot and let me login to it, but it quickly crashes.  I've got
coredumps turned on, but all that happens is that it flashes some error
message on the screen that I don't get time to read, then clears the
screen and reboots without logging anything to disk.  I'm wondering if
this is some kind of panic deep enough in the block layer or SCSI driver
so that it doesn't log anything or do a crash dump?

Anyone else running into trouble with these motherboards?

I'm hoping it isn't bad CPU or memory since I don't know how I'm going to
debug those problems without having components to swap...  I might try
taking the SCSI out of it and booting off an IDE drive and see if it might
be an incompatibility between the SCSI controller and the MB or
something...