Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2011 03:06:56 +0100
From:      Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
To:        kevin <k@kevinkevin.com>
Cc:        "<freebsd-pf@freebsd.org>" <freebsd-pf@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Questions about PF + Multiple gateways + CARP on a public ip network

On 16 Feb 2011, at 21:59, "kevin" <k@kevinkevin.com> wrote:

>> If you only have one gateway, then you have nothing to worry about for
>> this part.
>=20
> They provide a gateway address for each subnet they allocate to me -- whic=
> probably is assigned to the same device for them, but I would need to
> establish these rules in my freebsd firewall , correct?
>=20

Then you have different paths for inbound traffic right ?

This means you'll want to reply to any given packet via the same path it ori=
ginally took, which was not necessarily your default gateway.

So, IMO, this implies the use of source routing, impersonated by pf's reply-=
to option rules.

>=20
>> If you expect a lot of traffic, I recommend you do NOT use pfsync to
>> synchronize existing sessions on the backup firewall.
>=20
> Why not? Is this a generally accepted practice not to use pfsync because o=
> this? How much traffic is too much? The firewalls should average about 5,0=
00
> - 10,000 states on any given day, afaik.
>=20

We had to disable pfsync here because it actually hogged way too many resour=
ces.

We're talking 100k+ states here with ~5k http requests per sec.

> Im more worried about failover than I am about states being kept, but it
> would be nice to utilize pfsync if it wouldn't be too risky.

You will be fine, 5-10k states isn't much.
Now I have absolutely no idea what kind of hardware you have, but this reall=
y isn't much.

We let go of pfsync only a few weeks ago and mostly as a precautionary measu=
re with over 60k states at any given time.=