Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 08:15:22 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: semaphores/semget problem

Kent Boortz <kent@erix.ericsson.se> wrote:

>     semget(IPC_PRIVATE, SEMMSL, IPC_EXCL | IPC_CREAT | 0600))
>
> fails with the error "No space left on device". I tried to
> use a smaller value for SEMMSL but it did not help.

The tunable kernel paramater "SEMMNS" defaults to 60, that's the
maximal number of semaphores allowed in the system (accumulated over
all calls to semget() that are active by the same time).

Also, due to the crocky^H^H^H^H^H^Hfunny concept of SysV IPC, you
might as well run out of semaphore IDs instead (== #calls to semget()),
which is the tunable parameter SEMMNI, defaulting to 10.

--
cheers, J"org