Date:      Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22:22:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Denny White <dennyboy@cableone.net>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs question
References:  <20050607171901.A3942@dualman.cableone.net> <42A62287.3020705@ibsd.us> <20050607225028.H47050@dualman.cableone.net> <42A6DF8B.2090806@ibsd.us> <20050608212736.S95418@dualman.cableone.net> <20050609215257.GA59360@chaos.fxp.org> <20050609171716.J76049@dualman.cableone.net> <20050609233136.GA77987@orion.daedalusnetworks.priv> <20050609191952.V76049@dualman.cableone.net> <20050610094948.GB80770@orion.daedalusnetworks.priv>

> From achuprinin@securities.com Fri Jun 10 13:54:17 2005
> Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:46:39 +0400
> From: Alexey Chuprinin <achuprinin@securities.com>
> To: Denny White <dennyboy@cableone.net>
> Subject: Re[2]: cvs question

> Hello,

> Thursday, June 9, 2005, 8:32:35 AM, you wrote:

> DW> Looks like I'm back to where I started when I first
> DW> did the cvsup www-cvsupfile & tried to install the
> DW> files. I followed what you said. I did the command
> DW> cvs -d /usr/local/ncvs co www & it did create the
> DW> dir www with all the files. When I did a make install,
> DW> from www, it failed really quickly. I didn't get the
> DW> error code, but something it was looking for wasn't
> DW> there, apparently. I figured for right now, I could
> DW> try just the english translation, so I cd to www/en
> DW> & did make install. This time , it made it further,
> DW> but still failed. I captured the output this time to
> DW> a file. Here's the tail end of it where it fails:

> DW> install -C   -o root -g www -m 664 x86-64.html
> /root/public_html/data/platforms
> ===>> platforms/amd64
> DW> /usr/bin/sed -e 's/<!ENTITY date[ \t]*"$Free[B]SD. .* \(.* .*\) .*
> .*
> $">/<!ENTITY date "Last modified: \1">/'  motherboards.sgml |
> /usr/bin/env SGML_CATALOG_FILES=  /usr/local/bin/sgmlnorm -d
> DW> -ifreebsd.urls.absolute -c /usr/local/share/sgml/html/catalog -D
> /usr/www/en/platforms/amd64 > motherboards.html ||  (/bin/rm -f
> motherboards.html && false)
> DW> *** Error code 1

> DW> Stop in /usr/www/en/platforms/amd64.
> DW> *** Error code 1

> DW> Stop in /usr/www/en/platforms.
> DW> *** Error code 1

> DW> Stop in /usr/www/en.

> DW> I haven't had any problems with cvsup on ports or docs,
> DW> but the www problem continues. Maybe at this point I'm
> DW> being anal/hard headed, whatever, but I'd really like
> DW> to find out why it won't install. Thanks for any help.

> Don't slander youself. I think 'hard-headed' person will never admit
> that he doesn't know something. You are trying to do something so you
> are self motivated person.

> As to the "www problem", I'll check it on my box and write you any
> suggestion if i'll be able to.

> --
> Alexey Chuprinin

> System administrator
> Internet Securities, Inc., Russia

> Internet Securities, Inc. (trading as ISI Emerging Markets) is a
> Euromoney Institutional Investor company.

> This communication contains information which is confidential. It is for
> the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the
> intended recipient(s) please note any distribution, copying or use of
> this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited. If
> you have received this communication in error please notify us by e-mail
> or bytelephone (as above) and then delete the e-mail and all attachments
> and any copies thereof.

> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> [...]

Okay, I used the -R switch & pulled www into my home dir.
Then I read through the Makefile,v & saw it said:

don't build the non-english directories if the variable
ENGLISH_ONLY=YES is set

I tried that. From within /home/mydir/www I did a
make -D ENGLISH_ONLY=YES install | tee -a output.txt
and it failed so fast, nothing was even captured to
the output file. I scrolled back & found:

"/home/dennyboy/www/en/../share/mk/web.site.mk", line 135:
/home/dennyboy/www/en/../../doc/share/mk/doc.common.mk not found.
Define $WITHOUT_DOC and $WEB_ONLY for performing a partial build
without the doc/ module.
*** Error code 1

So, it's not a major deal if I install all the translations
just to be able to have the english part. Plenty of space
on /home. Just seems illogical if there's a work-around,
which I'm sure, if I understood more about make, I could
probably do. If no one wants to fool with this anymore,
I understand. :) Earlier I tried hacking around on the
makefiles on $DESTDIR to no avail. Just wanted folks to
know I wasn't one of those who say "I can't fix it. Fix
it for me"! :) I've tried for 3 days now, whenever I've
had time.

Okay, started this post earlier. Since then, I pulled www
again into my home dir, read-only mode. Went in as root & did:

make -D WITHOUT_DOC -D WEB_ONLY DESTDIR=/home/dennyboy install

Shame, because that pretty much defeats a lot of the purpose
of doing it, that is, without a lot of the docs. Be that as
it may, it finally got put in to one degree or another. Two
of you have been trying to help me & I included what I hope
are the latest posts from both of you. Thanks so much for
the help & patience. I haven't totally given up on this. If
anyone has any more ideas, I'll be happy to try them. Maybe
I should've just gone ahead & went through all it takes to
make a mirror. :-)
Denny White