Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 12:07:40 -0600
From:      Andrew Cattau <cattand@iit.edu>
To:        Andrew Tulloch <andrew@cosa.uk-legal.net>
Cc:        Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE2 and some 4.2-Beta remarks

On 11/13/00 Andrew Tulloch <andrew@cosa.uk-legal.net> said:

> > Also, the konsole program fails to chown the pty/tty and log it into
> > utmp.  It runs ok from a terminal window, but if launched from a menu
> > item, it causes a SIGABRT and dies.  Anyone have ideas on tracking
> > that down?
>
> I've also noticed this problem, but it only seems to occur for me if I
> login via xdm or kdm, but not if I just use startx from the console. Not
> sure if thats any use...
>
> Andrew

the problem seems to have something to do with having access to the
console you ran x from.  i don't use xdm, but normally i start x with the
following alias:

(startx >& .xsession-errors &) && sleep 3 && logout

when i do this, i get the same problem, since i no longer own the
console i logged in on.  when i just run startx normally, it works just
fine.