Date:      Sun, 25 Dec 94 20:41:16 EST
From:      rpt@hps.sso.loral.com (Richard Toren)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [?]@nd drive Boot Failure

Gentlemen;

  I just started the install from the CD i received last Friday.
I am installing onto a second disk that is a SCSI (bt0) unit. I am
allocating this entire disk to FreeBSD.

  I wrote the boot record to wd0 as recommended in the 'trouble' entry.

When I boot, I get the screen:

   F1 .... DOS
   F5 .... Disk 2

Regardless of what key I press, the boot always comes from DOS on
the ide drive. (drive 2 is marked as bootable).

I tried booting the floppy, when it asked for the boot device I entered
'hd(1,0)/kernel' as directed. The boot started up from drive 2, probed
the buses, and then said it was rebooting in 15 seconds. When this reboot
took place, up came DOS (I had no chance to intervene.).

Is this the code in \tools\dos_tool\srcs\bteasy ? (ps. the INSTALL doc
typos the path with       'dos-tool'.

I am suspending installation until I can clear this. Is it possible to make
up a file that could be put on a boot floppy that simply transfers the boot
to drive 2 or whatever?

Rip Toren
rpt@miles.sso.loral.com