Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 2009 16:05:29 GMT
From:      pmc@citylink.dinoex.sub.org (Peter Much)
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Rel 7 works better (was: "s/stable/broken/g")

Hi folks, hi Freddy,

sorry, missed Your note last year this time.

<fjwcash@gmail.com> aka Freddie Cash  schrieb
mit Datum Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:04:00 -0700 in m2n.fbsd.stable:

|On March 22, 2008 01:01 pm Peter Much wrote:
|> Both of them were running Release 5.5, and they were doing all that
|> is needed, and I was perfectly happy with this.
|> [...]
|> So I upgraded the first computer to Release 6.3. The outcome was
|
|A safer (recommended?) upgrade process when crossing major versions (ie
|5.x to 6.x) is to upgrade to the latest release of the "old" version,
|then to the .0 release of the "new" version, then to the latest release
|of the "new" version.
|
|So from 5.x to 5.5, then from 5.5 to 6.0, then from 6.0 to 6.3.
|
|The devs take great pains to make the transition from "latest X.x to Y.0"
|simple and mostly fool-proof, and the transition from "Y.x to Y.z" simple
|and mostly fool-proof.  But there are no guarantees when going from X.x
|to Y.z.

Maybe its good idea to replay Your message just now, as it seems
good advice.

I'm just strolling by to tell that I went from 6.3 to 7.2 just now
with my testmachine, and this time it was a really good experience
so far.

I have now only one strangeness, which I think not worth a bug report,
but I would invite You to think about what that can be. I post a
separate note with better subject for that.

And yes, I did ignore the good advice again, but 7.2 isn't officially
out for release yet, so there are no safety belts anyway.

rgds,
PMc