Date:      Sun, 2 Nov 1997 10:12:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: card removal problems

> > > Just like with the PAO release I experience problems when removing a
> > > card from a slot. Sometimes this results in a total lockup of the
> > > system, while it keeps beeping.
> >
> > There is a race where it's possible that the driver in in use when you
> > remove it that is un-avoidable.  But, this seems to happen pretty
> > rarely.
>
> Actually, it seems that it almost always locks up for me once a driver
> has ben allocated. I inserted that modem card I was talking about
> after applying my patch (so pcic would use not irq 3). It was not being
> used but still the machine locked up.

I'm confused.  You say it would lockup the machine *only* after a driver
was allocated, or it didn't matter.  If it doesn't matter, then
something is wrong with your PCIC controller, since all we do is apply
power (or not) to your controller.

> I am now going to implement the power patches to see if that would
> solve my problem.

I'd like to think there is a better solution that doesn't require user
interaction.

So, if there's no entry for the card in question in /etc/pccard.conf,
after inserting it, waiting for a driver to be NOT found, and then
removing the card your box will lockup?  If so, then the power patches
won't make any difference unless they 'power' down the card differently
than I do in removal, which means that I can power the card down the
same way and you won't need the 'power' patches.

Nate