Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 2001 19:53:12 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
To:        Adam Lau <adamlau@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFilter, Squid, Snort Config

Adam Lau wrote:

> 5. Trouble installing FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE on a box with Adaptec 29160 SCSI
> controller. http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install-hw.html does not
> indicate support for the 29160. Do I have to go out and purchase a
> supported 294X controller?

What's the nature of the trouble? I've set up 2 different systems with
29160N cards in them. One is running 4.1-STABLE (not sure of the date)
and the other is 4.2-STABLE very recent. 4.1 you had to go into the SCSI
BIOS and throttle the card down to 80m/b or you had panics. I've heard
that this is no longer the case with 4.2, but I haven't tested it yet so
I can't guarantee.

-Bill