Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 06:40:40 -0500
From:      Kelly Hendrix <kelly@slackwit.com>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Error on xl0

Hello Anthony,

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 10:02:47AM +0100, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> The one solution I've seen involves recompiling a driver module (and
> presumably rebuilding the kernel?), which seems like dramatic overkill
> and risk for what is apparently only a diagnostic message.

Even if you never choose to track stable and to do build worlds, kernel
recompiles are still something that most FreeBSD users will have to do.
Generic kernels, as bloated as they are, usually don't have everything
enabled  that an average user will need (firewall support, and sound for
example).  Or maybe the generic kernel is sufficient for your needs, but
you just want to recompile to streamline it a bit.  Admittedly, I had
reservations the first time I recompiled a kernel, but with the help of
Greg Lehey's book, "The Complete FreeBSD", I managed to get it both
recompiled and installed.

My suggestion to you is to try the kernel rebuild.  If you have a fast
machine, and IIRC you do, it'll only take a few minutes, probably less
than ten.  If you're not sure how, this is a good place to start:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

If you still have questions, well, that's why this list is here.  Be
specific about your problem and provide as much information as you can.

Kelly Hendrix