Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:02:54 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        tl001@online.no (Tore Lund)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: silly C style question

> > if (0 == i)
> > {
> >         foo(i);
> >         bar(i);
> > }

vs.

> > if (0 == i) {
> >         foo(i);
> >         bar(i);
> > }

[ ... ]

> Unfortunately, there is no objective way to decide which style makes the
> code easier to read.  Take a look through the FreeBSD sources, and you
> may realize what sort of flame war you have just started.  At least this
> is closer to topic than the discussion on mobile phones.

Actually, I think style preference has a lot to do with the
tools you use, particularly your editor.

The second version lets me hit "$%" in vi, for example, to do
a quick block skip, if the block of code in question is not of
interest (e.g. if I knew 'i' was not zero).

I have also seen a lot of "qed" users, who don't like the block
spacing used:

> > if (0 == i) {
> >         foo(i);
> >         bar(i);
> > }

And prefer:

> > if( 0 == i) {
> >         foo( i);
> >         bar( i);
> > }

For similar editor usage reasons.

As to comparing zero to 'i', instead of the other way around, well...
}B^).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---