Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 2004 02:35:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      matthew <matthew@netway.com>
To:        Graham North <graham.north@telus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTP difficulties 4.8R

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, Graham North wrote:

> Hi Rob:
>
> Thank you for this help.  Thanks also to all others who replied this
> evening.
> I just came home and it is late so I will pursue all suggestions tomorrow
> evening.
>
> My gut sense is that it is the nic setup - at first I thought it might be my
> router (and maybe it is part of the problem but I have operated 3 different
> machines through it and networked them in the past so am starting to get
> pretty comfortable with it).  But tomorrow I will start by checking my
> cabling carefully - though the same machine if booted into Win98 works
> flawlessly so I doubt that the problem is cabling or flaky nic.  The nic is
> a 3com 3509

I thought so. it is a 10mb/s card only, full and half duplex.
I will never use one of those ISA cards again.
I now throw them out.

See if your router can set its interface to 10BaseT/UTP full duplex.
do a download test.
Change router to half duplex...
download test.

If router cannot change its settings, do this on the freebsd machine.
I am quite sure, you are using ep0. You cannot use the
the mediaopt option with ifconfig. no one bothered to code it
into the driver. unlike xl0...

if you cannot resove the issue, i would seriously look for a pci
card you can slap in it.

l8r