Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 2015 22:02:56 +0200
From:      =?windows-1252?Q?Markus_H=E4stbacka?= <midian@ihme.org>
To:        Gregory Orange <gregory.orange@calorieking.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removing useless info from daily mail

Hello!=20

The only thing I=92ve done is put this in my periodic.conf:
daily_show_success=3DNO
daily_show_info=3DNO
daily_show_badconfig=3D"NO"

weekly_show_success=3D"NO"
weekly_show_info=3D"NO"
weekly_show_badconfig=3D"NO"

monthly_show_success=3D"NO"
monthly_show_info=3D"NO"
monthly_show_badconfig=3D"NO"

# Include security jobs with daily email. No need to send second email.
daily_status_security_inline=3D"NO"
security_show_success=3D"NO"

# Don't need to know about denied packets every day
daily_status_security_ipfdenied_enable=3D"NO"

### Now, enable services which you DO want to be aware of
# Check host for old ports
daily_status_security_portaudit_enable=3D"YES"

# Perform ZFS filesystem checks
daily_status_zfs_enable=3D"YES"

daily_status_security_ipfwdenied_enable=3D"NO"
daily_status_security_ipfwlimit_enable=3D"NO"
security_show_success=3D=93NO=94

You can also put in security_status_loginfail_enable=3D=93NO=94 if you =
don=92t want to see failed sshd logins.

To remove some message that you always get to your dmesg and don=92t =
want to see in your mail you can edit =
/etc/periodic/security/700.kernelmsg line 49 to look something like:
        dmesg 2>/dev/null | egrep -v 'arp: unknown hardware address =
format=92 |

This thing will remove "arp: unknown hardware address format=94 messages =
from the daily mail, as an example.

This has resolved most of my too much mail problems.

Regards,
Markus

<gregory.orange@calorieking.com> wrote:
>=20
> Hi Markus,
>=20
> On 07/01/15 15:31, "Markus H=E4stbacka" wrote:
>> I've been trying to reduce the incoming mail from my servers daily =
run.
>>=20
>> I've managed to configure periodic.conf in a way that when there's =
nothing
>> wrong in the logs I get no mail.
>=20
> Would you be willing to share your method? I'd like to substantially =
reduce my incoming mail, and while I figure there are configurable =
options to do so, I haven't yet put in the time to work them out. I'd be =
grateful to harness your work and put it to good use on my systems.