Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 23:09:18 -0600
From:      Jon Loeliger <jdl@jdl.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How Dumb Am I?  (New Machine Woes?)

Hey Folks,

So, how dumb am I?  In a desparate attempt to bring some of
my hardware into the, er, current century for real, I just
purchased:

    - MSI K7T Pro 2-A, 133
    - Athalon 1.0 GHz
    - 256 Meg PCI-133 memory
    - Some semi-generic 3COM-based 10/100 Ether card
    - A Sony EIDE CD-RW, no model number discernable (Spressa?), 8x/4x/32x
    - A cheap floppy drive
    - A 30 Gig IBM 7200 RPM Deskstar

I was hoping to install a 4.2 release onto this concoction.

First, I was hoping to cheat and transplant a 40 Gig Western
Digital drive that I brough up last month onto this MoBo/Chip
combo and Just Have It Work (TM).

Nah.  It thought about it briefly and then couldn't find the
kernel to boot it.

OK, so I'm prepared to re-install 4.2 the hard way.

I made a kern and mfsroot floppy.  I can read the floppies.
Things are _sane_ in the sense that I'm executing instructions
and I see readable output on my monitor. (!)

But the boot process just _hangs_ after or during probing the ad0
devices.  This happens using either the IBM or the Western Digital
disk drive.  (I know the WD drive works, I've previously installed
4.2 on it already, but the IBM is an unknown blank blank.)

I hit the boot prompt and added a -v to the boot command and
it tells me a lot more detail, sort of.  Here's the last set
of messages I'm willing to re-type in again:  (:-))

    ata0-master: success setting UDMA4 on VIA chip
    Creating DISK ad0
    Creating DISK wd0
    ad0: <WDC WD400BB-53AUA1/18.20D18> ATA-5 disk at ata0-master
    ad0: 16 secs/int, 1 depth queue, UDMA66
    ad0: piomode=4 dmamode=2 udmamode=5 cblid=1
    ad0: 38166MB <WDC WD400BB-53AUA1> [77545/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA66
    ata1-master piomode=4 dmamode=2 udmamode=2 dmaflag=1
    ata1-master: success setting PIO4 on generic chip

Now, having typed that, I think I smell a fishy rat on the
second IDE controller bus, right?  Has nothing to do with
the hard disk.  It's the POS Sony CD-RW drive on the other
bus, right?

Two things to note here.  First, I felt somewhat mis-led
by the boot sequence output that I was getting.  The hang
that I was seeing happened with this as the last line of
output:

    ad0: 38166MB <WDC WD400BB-53AUA1> [77545/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA66

So, did it stop there?  Was it done with ad0 parts?  Dunno.
It wasn't until I found the -v that I even saw two more lines
of output:

    ata1-master piomode=4 dmamode=2 udmamode=2 dmaflag=1
    ata1-master: success setting PIO4 on generic chip

and it wasn't until I _typed_ them into this message that I
realized it was no on to probing/configuring the second IDE bus.

Official Feedback/Suggestion:

    Any chance of getting a more positive identification of
    the transition between device probes?  Like, clearly announcing
    the intent to start a new device, or the success/failure of
    dealing with the current device?  In my case here, it had
    silently transitioned into starting the ata1 parts but the
    last message I saw left me believing it was still dealing
    with ad0 on ata0.  *sigh*

Second, I've since ripped the CD-RW out of the picture and it
just works now.  I'll dink with that POS later.  I have a
happy /stand/sysinstall Main Menu.  Cool.  I love FreeBSD again.

jdl