Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:46:03 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>, Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: gzip packages on FreeBSD 4-STABLE

--==_Exmh_-172326288P

If memory serves me right, Brooks Davis wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 08:57:39PM +0200, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > >=20
> > > I beg to differ. Modem (V.90) links will still benefit from saved
> > > megabytes, because a MB across a modem takes like three minutes.
> > >=20
> > > MByte =3D> Time =3D> Cost.
> >=20
> > Don't forget the amount of packages on the distributed cd's.
> >=20
> > Although this restriction of space will probably disappear in time again
> > with the rise of the DVD-ROM.
>
> Not really.  The FreeBSD Services double DVD set isn't all that far from
> not having space for all the packages on one disk.  You can't fit both
> packages and port source on one disk.

(Picking a random message to reply to)

I don't anyone's opposed to the idea of having bzip2 packages.  But we
need to do this without breaking support for gzip packages and to make
sure that packages work under *all* the circumstances that they need to.
It doesn't matter how much we save on better compression if the base
system utilities aren't ready to handle the task yet.

(No fault intended towards obrien, who wrote a lot of the bzip2 support,
or anyone else who contributed towards this.  Getting this right is
*hard*, but one might have to UTSL to realize this, just as I had to.)

With my RE team member hat on, I'll comment that the last two weeks of a
code freeze before a release is *not* the time to be trying to figure
out how to do this.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-172326288P

--==_Exmh_-172326288P--