Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2000 23:25:27 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Emmanuel Gravel <egravel@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade woes

On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 10:47:05PM -0700, Emmanuel Gravel wrote:
> I have 3.3 release installed on a P90 with 32 MB of RAM.
> Fairly basic install. Tried upgrading to 4.0 in these
> ways:
>
> 1- cvsup the source and make buildworld
> 2- /stand/sysinstall with FTP set to ftp.freebsd.org and
>    release set to /.0/FreeBSD/release/i386/4.0-RELEASE
>
> Problems in the first case: often had compiler crashes
> (signal 11, signal 10 and signal 4). Got it finally working
> after running with -DNOCLEAN -DNOGAMES. Then tried installworld
> and it crashed midway, unrecoverable (finally froze). Had
> to reinstall 3.3 from CD's (minimal, saved most of my config).

Did you follow the instructions in /usr/src/UPDATING?

> Problems in the second case: also ended up crashing mid-way
> leaving me with a completely unstable system. As when after
> the installworld, even the shell core dumped (so did df, du,
> bash, getty, most everything crashed). Had to wipe the system
> (two HD's, so I had partial backup) but it was still a pain.

Mixing the 3.x /stand/sysinstall with a FTP install is not a good
idea. Get the install floppies and use the 4.0 sysinstall.

> Now resorting to downloading the 4.0 release ISO to burn a
> copy. However it still doesn't explain why I'm getting so
> much trouble upgrading the system.

If you did not follow /usr/src/UPDATING it does.

> I was able (on different
> systems, however) to do the troublesome upgrade from 2.2.7 to
> 3.0 last year, and that seemed to go without too much trouble
> compared to this. Would anyone have any idea whatsoever why
> buildworld kept crashing,

A buildworld should actually go.

> installworld failed miserably and
> left me with an unstable system,

The installworld is the usual catch in the process. The new binaries
will not run properly. You need to boot a 4.0 kernel... But you do
need to install certain binaries before the reboot.

> and downloading the binary
> install with FTP from the main site left my system in even
> worse state?

Could be the old sysinstall with the new version or the previous
damage to the system.

> All I want to do is understand what's happening
> so I don't repeat the same mistakes over and over mindlessly.
> I mean, how hard can it be to upgrade FreeBSD from 3.x to 4.x?
> What am I missing? Or is it just something that can't be helped
> with my system?

/usr/src/UPDATING