Date:      Sun, 07 Nov 1999 15:12:23 -0500
From:      "Stephane E. Potvin" <sepotvin@videotron.ca>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ARM support

Mike Smith wrote:

> > To whoever that may interest, I've now got a nearly working freebsd
> > loader for the NetWinder. It currently only uses the serial console and
> > miss internal hard driver support but work is underway for both these
> > issues.
>
> Cool!  Does the NetWinder use OpenFirmware, or some other firmware
> interface?

Unfortunately no. It uses a stripped down linux kernel as firmware.
That's why I switched to work on the bootloader: the darn thing doesn't
seems to grok ufs right. It's bad because the disk/video support have to
be done from the ground up. Adding support to the Shark/acorn computers
will probably be a lot easier.

> > I'm making some progress too in getting world to compile but work in
> > this area is more slower as I've got no way to test what I compile and
> > I'm not that at ease with most of the code.
>
> If you're interested in sharing your work, I have a DNA ('shark') here
> that was loaned to the Project for just this purpose.  I'd be really
> interested to see your cross-build bits integrated into our tree ASAP.

I'd really like this to happens too but right now I think that would be
near impossible. binutils 2.9.1 doesn't really support arm/elf so I'm
currently using a recent snapshot of binutils (2.9.5) with gcc 2.95.1.
I'm using a boatload of very ugly hacks to make this combitation work
with current...

As soon as the binutils crew releases something more official so that it
could be added into the tree I'll be more than happy to send pr's for
what I've got so far.

Steph

--
Stephane E. Potvin