Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 23:26:38 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Nickolay Dudorov <nnd@mail.nsk.ru>
Cc:        Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libl.a in libipsec

Sorry I broke the world.

It was never installed in the temporary build tree, except possibly
in old, broken versions of /usr/src/Makefile* which built and installed
it as part of making lex as a build-tool (non-broken versions had
complications to avoid making lex/lib in the build-tool case, since
making it caused other problems).  When the dependency was missing,
-ll caused the linker to find libl.a in the wrong place.

I don't see how liby can get built before libipsec either.

> >> 	libl.a isn't necessary for libipsec building at all.
> >> The error now is the result of adding ${LIBL} to DPADD by bde
> >> in the ver 1.3 of the Makefile in the src/lib/libipsec.
> >>
> >> 	N.Dudorov
> >
> > Thanks, after removing libl related dependency from libipsec
> > Makefile, buildworld just passed libipsec part.
> > libl.a was not used on the first place. :-<
> >
> > I'll commit the fix.
>
> 	It seems to me (and my buildworld agree with this)
> that 'liby' is also not necessary for building of 'libipsec'.

liby is used.  Linking to the static version of it isn't good.
I think it results in functions from liby.a being included in
libipsec.so.  Since liby.a isn't compiled with -fpic, it's not
clear how this can work.  I think the linker prints RRS warnings
when it doesn't work.  I haven't seen those, so maybe it does
work.

Bruce