Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 14:58:35 -0700
From:      "Kory Hamzeh" <kory@avatar.com>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Adding 3ware RAID AFTER FBSD has been installed

I need to add RAID 1 to one of our web servers. I went ahead and purchased
the 3ware 6200 controller, and have run into these potential problems, even
before I've installed the hardware:

1. Can a drive containing data be added to this controller and then have the
drive mirror'ed on the second drive? I asked this question from 3ware and
they said they will get back to me.

2. Assuming I solved problem # 1, here's another one: since the system is
already configured and it is currently and IDE system and will become SCSI
by using the 3ware controller, all of the disk device names will change.
This means the system won't boot. I need to change the name of the root file
system, mount the root filesystem, and then edit /etc/fstab to edit the name
of the /var and /usr file systems. How do you change the name of the root
filesystem? How does the kernel know with filesystem to mount as root?

3. Will the 3ware controller change the perceived drive geometry in anyway
which might cause the system not to boot?

I am also looking at the Fasttrack 100, but I read in the mail archives that
the RAID functionality doesn't work under FBSD.

The ARCO Raid controller is the only I know that work totally transparently
because it sits in between the controller and the drive. It even comes with
a floppy you can boot with to mirror one drive from another. It is the
slowest of all of these controllers, so it is my last resort.

I'm begging for help here, guys!

Thanks,
Kory