Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 1996 14:54:24 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some thoughts on FAT filesystems

On Mon, 5 Feb 1996, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> Since some people is now looking at the msdosfs, it is nice that
> the discussion on FAT has progressed a little bit.
>
> I'd like to contribute some more thoughts. In the following I assume
> that there are no concurrent accesses to the FAT partition.

New ideas, or combinations of ideas, are always interesting. :-)

As the new kid on the block, I think the filesystem you describe would
have to show how it is superior to two existing, FAT-incompatible contenders
for the title of Improved FAT FS: the HPFS (OS/2) and NTFS (Windows NT).

The HPFS makes use of a banding system similar to the one you describe.
Both HPFS and NTFS also make use B-Trees in place of unsorted directories.
NTFS features transaction logging to support better filesystem recovery,
and both support hot-fixing (transparent recovery from media errors).
Etc....

Of course, what we really need is a vastly improved FAT filesystem that
makes use of FAT-identical data structures, and also is algorithmically
similar to all MS-DOS versions in every respect. :-)

--
Robert Nordier