Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2000 14:17:14 -0600
From:      "Hudson, Henrik H." <hhudson@eschelon.com>
To:        'j mckitrick' <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: (silly) domain name question

Hello Jon-

The IP address is what is really important to a system when getting on the
net. When you connect to your ISP via PPP, the ISP assigns you a IP number.
A good ISP will have a reverse lookup on that number assigned as well
(normally something cryptic like ppp-dynamic004.domain.com).The IP address
that is assigned to your PPP interface is what is used to communicate. The
name of your machine stays local. Just be careful to not start using that
for return emails, etc...they won't work.

To actually change your name. Edit the rc.conf file in /etc   and change the
line which says:
	hostname="localhost" to be   hostname="WHATEVER.WHATEVER.COM"

You may also want to add the name to the /etc/hosts file so you can talk to
yourself via name.

Henrik
---
Henrik Hudson