Date:      Sun, 17 Apr 2005 14:22:57 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        SuDaNym@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Time spent on server maintenance (was Re: newbie question)

SuDaNym@aol.com wrote:

>Hello
>
>Can anyone give me a very rough estimate on how much time is required on an
>ongoing basis, after a server is set up with FreeBSD and Apache, to maintain
>everything.  By everything I am referring to everything required to keep  the
>server up, and host about 100 domains.  Thank you in advance and I  apologize
>if this question is not appropriate for this list.
>
>Sue

This varies with experience, as an earlier post noted.  As much as possible,
one should attempt automation of daily chores, addition of domains,
mailusers, etc.  I certainly be willing to guess that one could spend
an hour or more of vigilant inspection and checking on the server system
daily, but as mentioned, if your system is fairly "bulletproof" (e.g., your
plan takes into account every possible emergency, your automation is
tested, retested, retested again, and then tested some more prior to
deployment (and well-documented), then you could probably cut that
down.

I'd think that the time would really be spent in supporting 100 client's
webmasters when they have issues; communicating with them in the
event you should have to do (un- or) scheduled maintenance, etc.

I'd also estimate that it's not a job for a rookie, per se, unless these
100 clients are very forgiving, patient, and understanding individuals...

On the plus side, know that this is very much a thing that FreeBSD
is good at....

My $.02, YMMV, include #disclaimer.h and all that....

Kevin Kinsey