Date:      06 Jun 1999 00:06:16 -0500
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        Scott Michel <scottm@cs.ucla.edu>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive on as default ?

>> This wouldn't help the poor sod whose connection gets shot down every
>> eight days while he's not there and doesn't know what hit him.
> One thing that no one points out is that this "idle" connection
> is potentially a security threat. Even if the physical connection
> is iced and is reconnected later using the same IP and the TCP
> connection is restored because it was kept alive, this presents a
> whole new world of interesting exploits. It's non-trivial, but
> that doesn't stop people like Network Associates' Labs from
> publishing papers on the subject.

Keepalives are not particularly useful against connection hijacking,
as far as I can tell, except perhaps that a keepalive packet may
disclose the current TCP sequence number to the new assignee of a
dynamic IP.  (This, of course, presents an argument for the opposite
stance.)

As near as I can tell, you're saying that if a transient outage is
restored, then after it's restored, an idle connection may be used by
an intruder.  How does the transient outage affect this?

If the transient outage has the side effect of changing routing, then
an attacker (or somebody else) is moving cables around, or a dynamic
link with a dynamic IP is being changed.  In the former case, then the
long delay between keepalive packets should not make them a valid
protection.  (If it takes an attacker more than a week to move a
cable, then may I suggest your attacker needs to refine his
technique.)

In the latter case, then the attacker who now holds the destination IP
can respond to the keepalive packets masquerading as the legitimate
recipient as easily as they can do any other work involved in
hijacking your connection.

If the outage did not cause a reconfiguration, then the attacker
generally has no different access to your network than before, and no
more means to hijack an open connection than before.

I've got some whiskey in me right now, so I may be unclear on what
you're saying.  Am I missing something here?

Happy hacking,
joelh

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org