Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2001 09:32:35 -0500
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Funny things to do with tar...

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the CD writing process
messes with the file attributes, like everything is made read-only or other
attributes as well, including permissions, ownership. Here's another way:

Save your tar files directly to another hard disk first (leave them there
as extra safety backup if you have room). The copy those to the CD. Then
copy back and watch the attributes. Then untar them on the test machine to
see if it works that way....

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin