Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 19:01:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Postfix vs. Sendmailkj

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Mike Meyer wrote:

> FreeBSD has solved this problem for any MTA that provides a sendmail
> command API. You edit /etc/mail/mailer.conf so it points at that MTAs
> version of sendmail (and mailq, and newaliases, for that matter), and
> the binaries installed where programs look for
> sendmail/mailq/newaliases will do the right thing.

Ahhhh.

When I installed Sendmail by hand, I followed their instructions and
installed the sendmail binary in /usr/sbin. I never realized that the
sendmail in /usr/sbin is just a symlink to mailwrapper! So the *actual*
sendmail binary, in /usr/libexec/sendmail/, remained.

I am not sure, but I suspect that 'make world' restores the
sendmail-->mailwrapper symlink, regardless of whether 'NO_SENDMAIL' is
set in make.conf... This would make sense, since mailwrapper is, in
theory, completely unrelated to sendmail.

So I've heard people complain about mailwrapper before... Are there any
security benefits to using mailwrapper, or is it (as the manpages say)
just a convenience for those installing alternative MTAs? As a rule of
thumb, should you never mess with /usr/bin or /usr/sbin?

----
Christopher Farley
Northern Brewer / 1150 Grand Avenue / St. Paul, MN 55105
www.northernbrewer.com