Date:      Mon, 1 Dec 2014 23:19:33 -0800
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        Mark Kane <mark@kane.mn>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS available space difference between 10.0 and 10.1

On Dec 1, 2014 10:19 PM, "Mark Kane" <mark@kane.mn> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I updated a machine running 10.0-STABLE from April to 10.1-RELEASE and am
noticing a discrepancy in available space on a ZFS filesystem between
versions.

[snip]

> Has anyone seen any similar issues in 10.1, or any ideas what could cause
the discrepancy between versions? I'm happy to provide any further
info/testing if needed.

IIUC, ZFS now reserves 3% of pool space for administrative purposes (namely
to be able to delete things when "pool is full").

So a pool imported on 10.0 will show more available space than a pool
imported on 10.1.

Cheers,
Freddie