Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 01:19:03 -0400
From:      Chad Ziccardi <zicc@bellatlantic.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Xfree-4 WAS: Re: Proper method of updating XFree86

"Kevin G. Eliuk" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Installed "X" during a fresh install of 3.4, and have since sup-graded to
> 4.0-STABLE.  I would like to update with the ports to XFree86-4.0 from 3.3.5.
>
> Being it is not a registered pkg, I cannot do a make deinstall or a pkg_delete.
>
> What is the best way to update and be able to not leave anything from the old
> distibution that can affect the performance or stability of the update?
>
> Or
>
> Is there an issue to worry about?

I just cvsup'd to 4-stable, currently under the new ports as well,
/usr/ports/x11/Xfree-4 is forbidden (yup I could comment the line out, and
I have, since no one can reach that computer (rarely attached to my
network))

If the port maintainer knows the problem and thus it's marked forbidden,
why not just fix it? Maybe I'm off base here, and thus I apologize.

--CZ