Date:      Sat, 7 Jul 2001 17:16:17 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Craig Cowen <craig@allmaui.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail Conf

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig Cowen <craig@allmaui.com>
Subject: Sendmail Conf
Date: Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 07:12:08PM -0700

> How do I set my FreeBSD 4.3R machine to relay all mail through
> another mail server?

By careful use of class 'w' (that lists the local host names) in
sendmail.cf and setup of MX records in your DNS server.  You'll
understand what I mean by reading below.

> so on the local machine, machine.subdomain.domain.com mail sent to the
> local user would go to user@domain.com

Then, you should remove domain.com from your 'locally handled host and
domain names' list.  Unless you have changed the location of
`confCW_FILE' in your master-config, the file that lists these hosts
and domains should be either /etc/mail/sendmail.cw (for older versions
of sendmail) or /etc/mail/local-host-names (in newer versions of
sendmail).

First of all, make sure that this file does not list
machine.subdomain.domain.com or domain.com.  This will inhibit
Sendmail from trying to deliver mail for recipients in these host and
domain locally, and try doing an MX lookup first.

Then, make sure that your DNS server has MX records for domain.com
that point to the machine that you want this mail really delivered to.

Then you should be ready to go :-)

> I put mail.1.my.domain.com in my sendmail.cf but mail to just user still
> ends up in the local mail box.

You put what? ... and where?

This is not enough to find out what could be wrong.  Please try to be
very detailed about the changes you do, next time.

Ciao,

-giorgos