Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:08:53 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>
To:        Karl Fischer <kmf@fischer.org.za>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GNOME 2.22.3 PBI on PC-BSD 7.0.1

Karl Fischer wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 19:14, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> Karl Fischer wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> Has anyone tested the GNOME PBI on PC-BSD 7.0.1 ?
>>>
>>> There are some issues regarding some menu items,
>>> Most of the issues and fixes are here :
>>> http://forums.pcbsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=11768
>> I really don't want to page through multiple posts.  Please summarize
>> the current outstanding issues with the PBI.
>
> I grabbed this out of the Forum,
>
> There are a bugs with the icons under
> "System" -> "Administration"
> they are
> - Add / Remove Software
> - Network Settings
> - Password & User Account
> - Service Manager
>
> None of them start,
> To fix this goto "System" -> "Preferences" - "Main Menu"
> Edit the entriesm, replace the "kcmshell" with "kcmshell4" and they'll work.

Okay, this is a product of the KDE4 migration.  I'll fix this.

> They also have no icons,
> The KDE Menu is not populated with Applications, only with Installed
> PBIs like OpenOffice.(This could be fixed in 7.0.1)

This is also due to the KDE4 migration.  KDE4 is installed in a
different PREFIX, so this is expected.  Any KDE3 app should appear in
this KDE menu.

> Another bug,
> after the Installation your rc.conf entry for dbus and hald will look like this
>
> ##GNOME##dbus_enable="YES"
>
> just make sure that dbus_enable="YES" is on a new line.
>
> and
>
> the ##GNOME##hald_enable="YES"
> just make sure that hald_enable="YES" is on a new line.

I don't buy this.  The code puts the ##GNOME## text at the end of each
line which is added by the PBI.  This only happens if you choose NOT to
enable GDM.  If GDM is enabled, then gnome_enable="YES" will be added to
rc.conf.  ALL the GNOME-related lines which existed in rc.conf BEFORE
the PBI is installed will be commented out with ##GNOME##.  This is by
design.

What answers did you give to the PBI prompts?

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team	::	gnome@FreeBSD.org