Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 23:21:28 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vmware2 fails on SMP kernel

At 12:06 PM +0200 6/19/00, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I'm setting up vmware for a handful machines, and one of them
>is a dual processor motherboard  (SMP). vmware fails to start
>the emulation with [...]

I have a vague memory that somewhere in the description of the
vmware-port it mentions that vmware won't work under FreeBSD
on SMP systems.  On the other hand, I read a lot of different
vmware-related files in the past week, and the one I am thinking
of may have been from earlier versions of the port.  As I have a
dual-P3 to run this on, I'd also be interested in how well the
ported version works on SMP kernels.

>FreeBSD-4.0-STABLE (fresh from last wednesday), SMP kernel,
>freshly cvs-ed port.  The linux emulation stuff is nfs-mounted.

I kinda doubt it makes any difference whether the files for
linux emulation are nfs-mounted.  (but I don't really know)

>I use the linuxprocfs unofficial port from Dec 1999
>(http://www.mindspring.com/~vsilyaev/vmware/files/linuxproc-12-27-99.tar.gz).

Probably not a good idea.

>I did try adding linprocfs to /usr/src/sys/modules/Makefile's
>SUBDIRS variable and rebuilding the entire world, but then
>kldload fails with the infamous "Exec format error" (odd, since
>I didn't change any sources apart from the mentioned Makefile,
>but I track STABLE, and linprocfs isn't supported there...).

Look for a recent message to freebsd-emulation, or a recent PR,
titled "Broken linprocfs filesystem in -stable".  It includes a
patch that got linprocfs working OK for me last friday.

Unfortunately, I then ran into some other problem so I can't say
how well it would work for you.  I *am* running on an SMP machine,
but it's possible I didn't get far enough along to run into the
problem you saw.  (in my case I wanted to run a guest OS off a
"raw" scsi hard disk, and that doesn't seem to be an option in
the port).

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute