Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 10:49:15 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        John Saunders <john.saunders@nlc.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ccd and vinum

On Saturday, 23 January 1999 at 22:57:29 +1100, John Saunders wrote:
> Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:
>> ccd is on its way out, not in.
>
> As long as it hangs around long enough for me to figure out how to
> configure vinum (and to compile a RELENG_3 kernel without errors
> when vinum is included) I will be happy.

vinum is included in 3.0.  All you need is a ``make world''.  If
you're having problems with the configuration, let me know what they
are.

>>>   2) I assume that the root partition can't be ccd.  Correct? and
>> Correct.
>
> Can it be with vinum? That would be interesting.

It's planned, but not there yet.  It will probably only happen with
the new bootstrap.

> Currently I have to remember to manually sync up the root
> filesystems if I change them.

How do you do that?

> I looked into it some time back. It is probably possible to have a
> ccd root filesystem if you hack a kernel to do the equivalent of
> ccdconfig and then get it to mount the ccd device as root. Although
> it would require substantial code hacking.

It's not as simple as that.  The bootstrap takes a device name, and
you can only mount the root file system on that device.

>> On the other hand, vinum does the right thing: if a drive fails, it
>> will carry on running, and you can rebuild the volumes on line.  Take
>> a look at http://www.lemis.com/vinum.html.
>
> Sounds really good, if I can get the $%^$& thing to compile I will be
> happy. :-)

You must be doing something wrong.  Which version (FreeBSD and vinum)
are you using?

Greg