Date:      Thu, 06 Feb 2003 14:21:08 -0800
From:      Mike Thompson <mike@atomz.com>
To:        Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xdm across different networks

Glenn,

I'm not 100% certain, but the X11 servers on your xxx.xxx.86.0 subnet my be
relying upon XDMCP broadcasts to locate the FreeBSD machine on the same
subnet.  Broadcasts cannot be routed between subnets and therefore your
Windows XP system on your xxx.xxx.87.0 subnet won't be responded to by your
FreeBSD machine.  Rather than using broadcasts, you should be able to
configure the X11 server software on your Windows XP system to do a direct
XDMCP query of the FreeBSD system by specifying it's hostname or IP
address.  Because a specific IP address is used the XDMCP query will
properly traverse the subnets to establish an X11 session.

Mike Thompson