Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 2003 22:49:33 +0200
From:      Petre Bandac <petre@kgb.ro>
To:        <barbish@a1poweruser.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ipfw firewall questions

ipf & ipfw are something like iptables & ipchains ? both tools do the sam=
e job=20
?

On Sunday 02 February 2003 20:26 Anno Domini, JoeB wrote using one of his=
=20
keyboards:
> There are 3 classes of rules in IPFW, each class has separate packet
> interrogation abilities. Each proceeding class has greater packet
> interrogation abilities than the previous one. These are stateless,
> simple stateful, and advanced stateful. The advanced stateful rule
> class is the only class having technically advanced interrogation
> abilities capable of defending against the flood of different attack
> methods currently employed by perpetrators. Stateless and Simple
> Stateful IPFW firewall rules are inadequate to protect the users
> system in today's internet environment and leaves the user
> unknowingly believing they are protected when in reality they are
> not.
>
> The advanced stateful rule option keep-state works as documented
> only when used in a rule set that does not use the divert rule.
> Simply stated the IPFW advanced stateful rule option keep-state does
> not function correctly when used in a IPFW firewall that also is
> using the IPFW built in NATD function. For the most complete
> keep-state protection the other FIREWALL solution (IPFILTER) that
> comes with FBSD should be used. Just checkout the IPFW list archives
> and you will see this subject discussed in detail with out any
> solution forthcoming.
>
> http://www.obfuscation.org/ipf/
>
> http://www.obfuscation.org/ipf/ipf-howto.html

--=20
Login: petre          =09=09=09Name: Petre Bandac
Directory: /home/petre              =09Shell: /usr/local/bin/zsh
On since Sun Feb  2 13:56 (EET) on ttyv0, idle 8:51 (messages off)
Last login Sun Feb  2 20:03 (EET) on ttyp0 from ns.rdsbv.ro
No Mail.
No Plan.