Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 2001 17:22:44 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        mtntrip@telusplanet.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reading/Mounting a CD-RW

> From: "James Earl"<mtntrip@telusplanet.net>
> Sender: mtntrip@telusplanet.net
> Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 06:42:43 GMT
>
> I had it so I could use it like a regular drive.
>
> So basically (correct me if I'm wrong)... I use my CD-RW disks the exact same
> way I'd use a CD-R disk, but with my CD-RW disk I have the capability to erase
> it and re-use it? At least until UDF support becomes available under FreeBSD?

Yes. If you write ISO 9660 (including Joliet extensions), the disk
will be readable under FreeBSD.

It might be possible to read the disk without closing the session
which would allow files to be added. I'm uncertain about this. I may
try it shortly. And, in theory, you can re-open a session. But I have
not had good luck with this. th added files could be read under
Windows, but FreeBSD didn't see them. :-(

In any case, you can erase and re-write the disk. With the Linux
module available, I'm hoping that it is ported to FreeBSD, but porting
kernel modules is NOT trivial. If it was, I'd do it myself. As it is,
it will take someone with far more knowledge than I to do the job.

I might also mention that even the Linux software will only read
UDF. Writing is being worked on, but it's apparently fairly
tricky. (Writing a format correctly is always harder than reading it.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)