Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:11:03 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Paul <paul@gtcomm.net>, FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Multiple routing tables in action...

-net added to broaden the conversation

Paul wrote:
> The routing daemons run linked separate instances and create their own
> RIB.  Take a look at Cisco's VRF implementation.   You can even have
> interfaces assigned to the other routing instance so you could have
> em0.001 on routing instance 1 and em0.002 on routing instance 2 and
> without using any policies or firewall rules it would know that
> everything coming on em0.002 uses the #2 instance and routes
> accordingly.  Same with Juniper.

that's coming.. have patience.. we will have vimage (check google)
plus multiple FIBS in each vimage..  for now use a firewall
classifier.

> Then you can export RIB entries , say
> you have 5 BGP peers and you want to export 2 or 3 or all of them into
> the 'main' routing instance you can set up a policy to add those learned
> routes into the main instance and v-v.
> Linux behaves a little bit differently as you have to make an 'ip rule'
> entry for it but it doesn't use the firewall.

for now this code asks you to use a firewall to classify incoming
packets..

e.g.
100 setfib 2 ip from any to any in recv em0

> I wish FreeBSD made a routing daemon that had total interactivity
> between the OS and daemon which would be great.. Quagga is good but the
> interaction is very annoying. Quagga has no idea what is going on on the
> kernel level and the kernel has no idea what is going on with quagga.

I'm not a routing daemon expert..

> Ex: if I add or remove a route from the kernel using 'route' command it
> does not remove it in quagga.   Would be great to have a BGP/OSPF combo
> integrated into the kernel somehow.

Sounds like Quagga needs to be made aware of routing events by
listening for them on routing sockets. They are available.

[chop]

>  I have need for
> many many gigabit firewalls to put in front of many servers and the cost
> for the hardware firewall devices is way too much to deploy in the
> quantity that I need :/
>
> Paul

If you have a roadmap, then get involved..  :-)
We need end user quidance on some of this stuff.