Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:33:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Aloha Guy <alohaguy123@yahoo.com>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD box as router adding latency

Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us> wrote:
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Aloha Guy wrote:

> Any ideas what is causing this? Is it the xl0 driver because I've
> used FreeBSD machines as ethernet routers before with a similar
> setup except there was no NAT involved and used the fxp drivers and
> it never had this problem. Thanks for your help in advance!

Additional delay while adding a hop is to be expected, no matter how
fast your network or router is. You only added about 1ms on average,
which is about right. The lost packet in the second traceroute might
be due to a full/half-duplex mismatch between one of the NICs and the
switch.

You're right that additional delay while adding a hop is to be expected, which is less than 0.1ms to the FreeBSD box but everything past the FreeBSD machine is adding atleast 5ms up to 300ms in the traceroutes when the normal is no more than 20ms for the same traceroute.  I've already checked the NICs and they are all configured at their full rated speeds and full duplex.  I even try using a Cardbus PCMCIA fxp0 Intel Pro/100S card on the FreeBSD box and it still had the same problem.  I am using a September 2003 -CURRENT so I don't know if it's a issue with the current networking code back then or not.

John