Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 1996 13:00:18 -0700
From:      Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>
To:        dave@persprog.com
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DEC PCI CHIP QUESTION

> From:          "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>

> > We just bought an ethernet switch that can configure it's ports as full
> > duplex.
>
> And so did I...  :-)

Which one did you get?  I just love new toys!
======================================
When philosophy conflicts with reality, choose reality.
Dave Alderman  -- dave@persprog.com
======================================

----- End Included Message -----

We got the USR (formerly AmberWave?) etherswitch.

PROS:

  Inexpensive buyin: Ports come on plug-in cards. So we started out with 8
  10-base-t ports. Fiber, 10-base-2 and 10-base-100 cards are available also.

CONS:

  The unit is not as compact as some of the others we've looked at (e.g.
  Linkswitch 1000). For some of our POPs where leased rack space is at a premium
  we may go with a 3com.

On our network here at the office, we saw ping times to a neighboring network
go from 150ms to 50ms or below. We have a heavily loaded web server being fed
from here and collisions of this network are a problem.

We put one at another POP that has problems. We saw some improvement, but
not as dramatic. Out conclusion was that although collisions a a factor there
the real problem is that we've run out of bandwidth.  These boxes can't perform
miracles.