Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:03:34 +0100
From:      Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jose M Rodriguez <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>
Subject:   Re: x11 /tmp preparation rc.d script

[rc@ list CCed as this threads on their territory, the start of thread is=20
here:=20
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2005-January/001474.html]

On Monday 10 of January 2005 19:35, Eric Anholt wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 09:40 +0100, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> > Jose M Rodriguez escribi=F3:
> > > Eric Anholt escribi=F3:

> > As a latter think about this, consider take also periodic related fixes
> > (We clear this directories by default) and try to get a OS_VERSION bump
> > closest to this.
>
> I'm sorry, I'm not sure what exactly you're talking about here.  Are you
> saying that /etc/periodic contains something that will wipe out X's
> files in /tmp?  That would be rather broken.

/etc/periodic/daily/110.clean-tmps cleans out empty directories that have n=
ot=20
been modified in $daily_clean_tmps_days days. This ones should therefore be=
=20
added to $daily_clean_tmps_ignore in /etc/defaults/periodic.conf, just to b=
e=20
on the safe side.

Other than that, I don't really know what would be the best way to handle=20
creation of this directories and haven't commented so far, but since I'm=20
already writing (mostly because I thought rc@ list should be CCed), here's =
my=20
opinion FWIW: the simplest seems to be a patch from Pawel Worach at=20
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-current/2004-November/042445=
=2Ehtml
The benefit of using this simple approach is that it is simple (of course :=
)=20
and furthermore it only adds two more directories to /tmp at startup as=20
oposed to adding a file in /etc/rc.d. The difference being one inode. But=20
then again, perhaps I don't see all the implications and this is too simple=
=2E=20
Is there a real benefit in creating another rc.d script for doing this and=
=20
adding a knob to turn creation of these directories off?
Yes of course that would only solve things on -current and -stable, however=
=20
there is already an UPDATING entry for this and we can always add a script =
to=20
be installed from a port that would take care of transition period (probabl=
y=20
as soon in dependency tree as possible, ie -libraries).

Dejan