Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 2002 21:55:10 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RAID Stripe Size Question

I was reading an article at Anandtech the other day that said stripe size
couldn't be changed for the Promise onboard RAID controller in the
ASUS A7V333 motherboard (PDC20276 - it's an ATA133 controller) ,
and they didn't like the performance at the only available stripe size
setting, 64KB.  They showed tests indicating better transfer rate
performance with RAID controllers set at a 512KB stripe size.

I have the A7V333 motherboard, and the article leaves me with some
questions:

1.  Is a 64KB stripe size sub-optimum for such things as making world,
compiling and installing large ports, etc.?  Is there a more optimal setting
or range of settings?

2.  Is atacontrol capable of setting stripe size?  If so, what would be the
correct command syntax?

Jud