Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 20:15:11 -0700
From:      "Seamus.Venasse" <Seamus.Venasse@polaris.ca>
To:        "'aaron g'" <click46@operamail.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: JDK in a Jail?

Yes, it works quite well in a jail.  I installed the linux_base and
installed linux-jdk-1.3.1.03 so that I can run the Jakarta Tomcat 4.0.3
port.  However, there were a few steps I needed to do first, so I'll
list them below:

In the system environment:

- ensure that the kernel has support for linux binaries
# sysctl kern.fallback_elf_brand  <-- record the number displayed
# sysctl -w kern.fallback_elf_brand=3

In the jail environment:

# cd /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base
# vi Makefile

Comment out the "@mknod ${LINUXBASE}/dev/null c 2 2" line.

# make all install clean

In the system environment:

# sysctl -w kern.fallback_elf_brand={number recorded earlier}
# cd {jaillocation}/compat/linux/dev
# mknod null c 2 2

You now have a working linux_base within a jail environment.

I installed linux-JDK 1.3 because linux-JDK 1.4 does not allow me to
turn off HotSpot.  I didn't choose to compile the native JDK due to time
constraints.  Now that HotSpot is working in the native JDK, maybe I'll
just create another jail and try to compile it there.

Seamus